Katekyo Hitman Reborn is composed of five major story arcs, following the development of Sawada Tsunayoshi from whiny kid to new leader of the Vongola.
Click on the links for more detailed discussion and basic character lists.
Daily Life arc — We meet majority of the main characters; the basic premises of the story are established
Manga: chapters 1-60
Anime: episode 1-19, 27-33, 66-73
Kokuyo arc — Rokudo Mukuro and his gang are introduced.
Manga: chapters 61-81
Anime: episode 20-26
Varia arc — The fight for the right to be the next Vongola successor. Introduces Xanxus and his group. Chrome introduced. A few more Arcobaleno introduced. Rings introduced.
Manga: chapters 82-135
Anime: episode 34-65
Future arc — The gang is brought ten years into the future to save Vongola and the whole Mafia. Ring/Box system. Arcobaleno case slowly being explained. All Arcobaleno introduced.
Manga: chapter 136-282
Anime: episode 74-203
– The World 10 years later / training phase (manga: chapters 136-174, anime: episode 75-101)
– Melone Base siege (manga: chapters 175-230, anime: episode 102-141)
– Arcobaleno trials (anime: episode 141-153)
– Funeral Wreaths / Choice (manga: chapters 231-282, anime: episode 155-177, 190-203)
– Primo famiglia trials (anime: episode 178-188)
Inheritance arc — An obscure mafia family threatens to disrupt ceremonies to place Tsuna as tenth-generation successor to Vongola. Vongola Gear system.
Manga: chapter 283-346